Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Aimless Reading: The J's, Part 14.4 (C.G. Jung)

Jung, C.G.
Memories, Dreams, Reflections


This is the last of Jung and the last of the J's.

I may have bought this at Rust Belt Books.

I have never read this volume. If memory serves, my acquisition of it had to do with its having been recommended by an ex-girlfriend. We hadn't spoken for many years when one night we ran into each other on Second Avenue in New York when I was visiting. We made plans to get together the next time I was in town and we did.

For me, it was sort of a proving to myself that I could act like a mature adult in such a situation, which I more or less did. I was at the time reading through the other volumes of Jung I had a acquired and I didn't yet own this one. When I told her I was reading his work she got very excited and asked if I had read his memoirs and I said no and she said it was one of her all time favorite books and so I went out and bought it when I got back to Buffalo.

I never even opened it. I don't know why. I've intended to open it often, even to start reading it, over the years, but I never have. I never saw that ex-girlfriend again after that, either. Maybe there is some connection.

from Memories, Dreams, Reflections

My life is a story of the self-realization of the unconscious. Everything in the unconscious seeks outward manifestation, and the personality too desires to evolve out of its unconscious conditions and to expreience itself as a whole. I cannot employ the language of science to trace this process of growth in myself, for I cannot experience myself as a scientific problem.

What we are to our inward visions, and what man appears to be sub specie aeternitatis, can only be expressed by way of myth. Myth is more individual and expresses life more precisely than does science. Science works with concepts and averages which are far too general to do justice to the subjective variety of an individual life.

Thus it is that I have now undertaken, in my eighty-third year, to tell my personal myth. I can only make direct statements, only "tell stories." Whether or not the stories are "true" is not the problem. The only questions is whether I what I tell is my fable, my myth.

No comments: