Thursday, September 16, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 1.1 (Franz Kafka)


The Trial
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Kafka, Franz
The Trial


Purchased at St. Mark's Books in NYC, probably in the early nineties.

Looks like it got a little wet at some point, as the corner has a water stain running from the front cover all the way through guts to the back cover. I love that they call that part of the book the 'guts.' It makes me think of meat, flesh, bowels, intestines, blood: the messy complicated substance of things.

I am home sick today with a sore throat. Will Alexander arrives on a late bus tonight. I hope I feel better by then. Tomorrow I take him for a reading at Buffalo State College during the day. He reads in the Big Night Series on Saturday.

Zelda is sitting next to my desk gnawing on one of those dried bull penis things they sell at the pet store. I have to keep an eye on her. I turned around before and she was eating one of my bookshelves. If I am not careful I'll find her eating one of my books! I am sure I will at some point. I hope it's not one I am too fond of.

from The Trial

Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested on fine morning. His landlady's cook, who always brought him his breakfast at eight o'clock, failed to appear on this occasion. That had never happened before. K. waited for a little while longer, watching from his pillow the old lady opposite, who seemed to be peering at him with a curiosity unusual even for her, but then, feeling both put out and hungry, he rang the bell. At once there was a knock at the door and a man entered whom he'd never seen before in the house. He was slim and yet well knit, he wore a closely fitting black suit furnished with all sorts of pleats, pockets, buckles and buttons, as well as a belt, like a tourist's outfit, and in consequence looked eminently practical, though one could not quite tell what actual purpose it served.

No comments: