Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 3 (Immanuel Kant)

Kant, Immanuel
Critique of Judgement


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books for a graduate school course with Rodolphe Gasché in 1997.

This is one of my all time favorite books of philosophy.

The beautiful...

"The beautiful is that which apart from concepts is represented as the object of universal satisfaction."

The sublime...

"The sublime is that, the mere ability to think which shows a faculty of the mind surpassing every standard of sense."

In comparison...

"The mind feels itself moved in the representation of the sublime in nature, while in aesthetical judgments about the beautiful it is in restful contemplation. This movement may (especially in its beginnings) be compared to a vibration, i.e., to a quickly alternating attraction toward and repulsion from, the same object."

I think I can safely say that since reading The Critique of Judgement I have always, in one way or another, set before me the task of experiencing again and again this movement and attempting, to the best of my ability, to get that movement down in words. I usually fail, but I almost always find my failure pleasing.

No comments: