Thursday, September 23, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 3.1 (Immanuel Kant)

Kant, Immanuel
Critique of Pure Reason


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books for a graduate course with, I think, Henry Sussman. I think we read this and The Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel. We took a sort of compare and contrast approach, as I recall: Kant (static categories) v Hegel (the dynamic movement of the dialectic).

I am getting up earlier and earlier since we brought the new dog home. She went to the bathroom much earlier than usual last night, which had me worried she might need to get up earlier than usual this morning. I tried sleeping until seven, but I was out of bed by 6:20. It's kind of nice to be up this early, but I am finding myself more and more tired at the other end of the day.

I fell asleep watching a movie last night at about 9:30. It was a really low-budget, made-for-TV adaptation of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles that featured Rock Hudson. It should have kept me awake on the kitsch value alone. Apparently there are at least 4 more hours. I believe the next two feature Roddy McDowell.

Poetry season in Buffalo is upon us. Had I the energy, I could go to a poetry reading every night this week. But I don't -- i've been feeling slightly under the weather since last week. It had seemed to go away for a while over the weekend, but I may have simply been ignoring my illness. I feel all congested and cough-y now.

None of which has anything to do with this here blog project. I feel like I may have hit a lull in thought again, which I guess I'll just have to write myself through.

Looks like I left off reading the Critique of Pure Reason on page 286 -- at least that is where my bookmark rests.

from Critique of Pure Reason (page 286)

But even if we could by pure understanding say anything synthetically in regard to things-in-themselves (which, however, is impossible), it still could not be applied to appearances, which do not represent things-in-themselves. In dealing with appearances I shall always be obliged to compare my concepts, in transcendental reflection, solely under the conditions of sensibility; and accordingly space and time will not be determinations of things-in-themselves but of appearances. What things-in-themselves may be I do not know, nor do I need to know, since thing can never come before me except in appearance.

No comments: