Monday, September 27, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 5 (Maurice Kenny)


Carving Hawk
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Kenny, Maurice
Carving Hawk


Given to me by the author. Inscribed. I remember Kenny came to Buffalo for about a week in the mid-oughts, and that I drove him to about ten different schools to perform writer residencies and that he gave me the book as a gift.

It has a kind of strange inscription, whose context I do not recall:

Mike--

Sorry I put you to sleep that morning, but I'm pleased to have your friendship.

(Illegible),

Maurice Kenny


I think I may have fallen asleep during one of his school visits, possibly while he was reading. I have a vague recollection of having to get up rather early each day to pick him up and get him to the schools on time, which would explain my drowsiness. This is all conjecture, because my memory of the whole week is very vague.

from Carving Hawk

Resignation

The voiceless pines
Have no anger, cannot shout
At the wind as it rages
Through needles and limbs.

The quiet hum of the plundered pine,
Raped as though a closed-eyed child,
Only lifts or lowers its tone
But does not scream
Its brutal violation.

Open your arms, old mountain pine,
Accept
The cry and the lash and the hate
Of the crazed wind
Which loves you.

No comments: