Monday, October 11, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 10 (Myung Mi Kim)


Dura
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Kim, Myung Mi
Dura


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books. Boy, I sure do miss the cover design of Sun & Moon books -- Green Integer, its replacement, sorely lacks in that department.

Myung Kim came to Buffalo for a reading at some point during my first two years in the Poetics Program. I remember taking her out to dinner at a little bistro called Le Metro. I think the only other guests were Eleni Stecopoulos & Nick Lawrence. I remember being surprised more people didn't come.

My clearest memory is of my menu catching fire. After deciding on my meal, I set it down and started talking. I recall the conversation being lively and also that Myung struck me as a person devoted to poetry in a way that was refreshingly optimistic.

As the conversation continued, I saw a flicker out of the corner of my eye but ignored it. A moment later my menu burst into flames. Apparently, I had set it on top of a candle. We managed to put out the fire without too much trouble.

I remember from that point on there was continual talk of Myung coming to Buffalo to teach in the Poetics Program. The talk lasted four or five years until eventually she came.

from Dura

from Labors

With foremost authority assume

Set by pail set by pall

Burgeoning will

Land and its periphery

First rave to core

Afford: could nearly lose


Banner hung

Name speaking

Due west directly west

Occupation must within a reasonable time

Be added to the discovery to constitute

A valid title to territory in the New World

Three mile swath reaching each direction...

No comments: