Friday, October 29, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 23.1 (James Koller)


The Bone Show
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Koller, James
The Bone Show


Given to me by the author, inscribed, 18 FEB 05.

I met Jim one other time after he stayed with us in Buffalo. It was the summer of 2007. We went to visit Jonathan Skinner and Isabelle Pelissier, who'd moved to Maine the year before. One night, which I think I described in an earlier post, they invited over several poets who live in the vicinity for a dinner, including Jim and his wife, Maggie.

Next day we drove over to Jim and Maggie's place on the island. It's a beautiful, isolated house in the woods. They have plumbing these days, which is okay by me.

Later, the six of us ate lobster down at the shore and went for a long walk on the beach. I remember talking to Jim about my upcoming cross-country road-trip book tour. We discussed each city Lori and I planned to visit along the way. Jim had visited all of them and had opinions about each.

I also remember that he had shaved the beard he'd had the first time I met.

from The Bone Show

Coyote

In the beginning
we gathered around
& nobody knew
who anybody was.
I figured it out.
We need names
if we wanted to talk
about one another.

No comments: