Saturday, October 30, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 23.2 (James Koller)


Like It Was
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Koller, James
Like It Was


Given to me by the author. Inscribed 18 FEB 05.

This is book of fiction, poetry and memoir about Koller's time in the Bolinas and San Francisco in the sixties. There is a nice set of black and white photos of writers and artists inserted into it.

There's a photo of Jack Boyce, who was once married to Joanne Kyger, and who died young falling from a roof beam he'd decided to traverse while intoxicated.

There's a photo of Bill Brown and another of Bill Brown and James Koller.

There's a photo of Bill Brown's daughter, Maggie, with Richard Brautigan. Maggie would grow up and marry James Koller. When James showed me the book he playfully startled me by pointing to the little girl in the photo and saying, "That's my wife."

There's a photo of Richard Brautigan alone.

There's a photo of stunningly beautiful Joanne Kyger.

There's a photo of Philip Whalen with hair and a beard and a large round polished stone ring on ring finger of his left hand.

The last photo is of actor Peter Coyote, very thin in blue jeans and some kind of lined vest, his dark hair pulled back in a ponytail. There's some kind of case -- it looks like something you hold your glasses in -- clipped to his belt. A cigarette with a long, long ash that seems about to burn him dangles between the index and middle fingers of his right hand. His eyes are bloodshot. He looks drunk or high or both.

Looking at that picture I can remember the distinctive timbre of Peter Coyote's voice. It's kind of scratchy and matter of fact. I think I first saw him in the movie, "The Legend of Billie Jean," starring Helen and Christian Slater as misunderstood youths on the run from the law. I think Peter Coyote was the law. Then I remember he did voice work in a lot of commercials. Then I sort of lost track of Peter Coyote.

No comments: