Monday, October 4, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 8 (Søren Kierkegaard)

Kierkegaard, Søren
Fear and Trembling
The Sickness Unto Death


I am not sure where I got this one. I know I got it for free and I think I can narrow it down to two possibilities: either I got it off a free book table in the English department in grad school, or I pulled it out of a stack of books Kyle Schlesinger donated to Just Buffalo on his way out of town.

I feel like it is most likely the latter. I remember he donated a box of books to Just Buffalo's book table just before he moved away and that I took three or four for myself before completing the donation. Perks of the job.

I don't think I have read this copy, though I have read parts of both titles. Lori went on a bit of a Kierkegaard tear a few years back and may have read this one.

I once read an article about how a group of computer people who'd written some kind of author recognition program ran all of Kierkegaard books, which were originally written under different pseudonyms, through an rigorous analysis which determined that each had been written by a different author. To be able to construct something like seven authorial identities with seven distinct "voices" is a pretty amazing feat, one has to admit.

from Fear and Trembling

Not merely in the realm of commerce but in the world of ideas as well our age is organizing a regular clearance sale. Everything is to be had at such a bargain that it is questionable whether in the end there is anybody who will want to bid. Every speculative price-fixer who conscientiously directs attention to the significant march of modern philosophy, every Privatdocent, tutor, and student, every crofter and cottar in philosophy, is not content with doubting everything but goes further. Perhaps it would be untimely and ill-timed to ask them where they are going, but surely it is courteous and unobtrusive to regard it as certain that they have doubted everything, since otherwise it would be a queer thing for them to be going further.

No comments: