Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Aimless Reading: The K's, Part 8.1 (Søren Kierkegaard)

Kierkegaard, Søren
Either/Or: A Fragment of Life


Purchased for $4 at the Niagara Falls Outlet Mall Discount Book Store (RIP). It still has the price sticker on the cover. It also has a black remainder mark on the bottom portion of the text block. It also looks as if someone used it as a cutting board, as the cover is cut and nearly split by a three-inch vertical slice that runs as deep as page four. I guess it is also possible that a book seller was trying to cut the cover off to destroy the book, but chose to sell it instead. I didn't make the cut, that much I know. There, I just repaired it with some clear packing tape. As with yesterday's title, this not the copy I read, but one I purchased later as reference material for my library. I have nothing else to say this morning.

from Either/Or

Perhaps it has sometimes occurred to you, dear reader, to doubt the correctness of the familiar philosophical proposition that the outward is the inward, the inward the outward. You yourself have perhaps nursed a secret which, in its joy or pain, you felt was too precious for you to be abe to initiate others into it. Your life has perhaps brought you into touch with people of whom you suspected something of the kind, yet without being able to wrest their secret from them by force or guile. Perhaps neither case applies to you and your life, and yet you are not a stranger to that doubt; it has slipped before your mind now and then like a fleeting shadow. Such a doubt comes and goes, and no one knows where it comes from or where it it hurries on. I, for my part, have always been of a somewhat heretical temper on this point of philosophy and have therefore early accustomed myself to undertaking, as best I may, observations and investigations of my own; I have sought guidance from the authors whose views in this respect I shared; in short, I have done everything in my power to fill the gap left by the philosophical literature.

No comments: