Thursday, November 18, 2010

Aimless Reading: The L's, Part 6 (Dorothea Lasky)


Awe
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Lasky, Dorothea
Awe


I think this was sent to me by the publisher before the author read here a few years back. Either that or I bought it at the reading. I am pretty sure the former is the case.

Anyhow, I like pronouncing the title and visualizing in my head playing back and forth between "awe" and "aww." Not sure which I prefer, but the sound is pleasing in either case.

I don't remember a whole lot about the circumstances of Dotty's reading in Buffalo. I remember seeing her read in the back of Rust Belt Books and I remember a table full of poets (I almost wrote "pouts") sitting around a table at a restaurant called, "Merge." Dotty had an iPhone, then still a new device, and I remember feeling jealous.

from Awe

What You Think When You Are Confused


I knew that somehow in the midst of this confusion
Was the true dawning of myself.
My soul was a man and like a man
I would wander forever among stars and flowers, lonely.
My heart a lonely star with no matching star
Anywhere in the universe and even so
Looking like a man for somewhere
To rest my freedom and resent it.

No comments: