Thursday, November 25, 2010

Aimless Reading: The L's, Part 9 (Urusula K. Le Guin)

Le Guin, Urusula K.
The Left Hand of Darkness


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books. I still haven't read this. I bought it about five years ago along with several other books by some of the sci-fi heavyweights. I've now read all of them except this. I polished off two more of them this summer and even took this one off the shelf for a while but never got to it. Maybe next summer. Yeah, for sure, next summer.

Today will be the first meat-free Thanksgiving in this house. Looking forward to it. Amazing how little I miss meat. We continue to eat fish, mostly for the health benefits, but I could probably live without that, too, if I had to. Maybe in another few years will remove that from our diets.

Well, that's it for today. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

from The Left Hand of Darkness

I'll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeworld that Truth is a matter of the imagination. The soundest fact may fail or prevail in the style of its telling: like that singular organic jewel of our seas, which grows brighter as one woman wears it and, worn by another, dulls and goes to dust. Facts are no more solid, coherent, round, and real than pearls are. But both are sensitive.

No comments: