Friday, December 3, 2010

Aimless Reading: The L's, Part 12 (Emmanuel Levinas)

Levinas, Emmanuel
Of God Who Comes to Mind


Purchased at Talking Leaves Books in 2005, according to the sticker.

I must have bought this around the time I was reading heavily in Paul Celan and Heidegger, as I was then thinking a lot about being, which, being to Catholicism born as I am, inevitably leads to thoughts of the god I don't believe in.

It's a very strange feedback loop.

I am not sure I read all of it. I seem to have a vague recollection of reading it at our last house, late at night, in bed, and of struggling to understand such dense writing at such a time of night, when my mind is least fresh.

I must have processed some of it in preparation for the writing of "The God Poem," probably the most interesting piece of writing I've done (in my humble opinion). You can read it in the ixnay reader by clicking here (it's the last poem in the issue, so scroll all the way down).

from Of God Who Comes to Mind

1. "Not to philosophize is still to philosophize." The philosophical discourse of the West asserts the amplitude of an all-inclusiveness (englobement) or an ultimate comprehension. It compels every other discourse to justify itself before philosophy.

Rational theology accepts this vassalage. If, for the benefit of religion, it pulls out some domain over which the supervision (contrôle) of philosophy is not exercised, then this domain shall have been, on good grounds, recognized as philosophically unverifiable.

No comments: