Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 18 (Filip Marinovich)


Zero Readership
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Marinovich, Filip
Zero Readership


Sent to me by the publisher, Ugly Duckling Presse.

I used to edit a review column in the local weekly up here until they politely asked if I would stop reviewing so many books of poetry and concentrate my attention on more significant kinds of writing, like non-fiction and political commentary. They eventually took over the reviews themselves. Sigh. No wonder the title of this book.

Anyhow, I used to get lots of free books from UDP and other great presses like Flood and Coffee House. Rarely now do they arrive in my mailbox, when only lately they seemed to overflow it.

I still get the UDP chap/mag 6 x 6, which I greatly appreciate. My favorite part about receiving UDP books in the mail was that their was never an overarching aesthetic for the books, which meant I could get a beautifully letter-pressed book of poems by a European poet I'd likely never heard of one week, then something like this, which has more of a handmade look to it, the next.

from Zero Readership

Grampa Chaki's Adventures with Slobodan Milosevic

then we went to Black Grass

that man I worked with him I traveled with him all over Yugoslavia
to all the military objekts
that man never said a word against any nation
but any president will defend his own nation

they had to kill the man because he was not guilty and
they could not convict him

you should have seen him defending himself on TV
you could have learned something

instead of taking pictures down from my shelves
you who know nothing
but the fashionable politics of the young.

No comments: