Thursday, January 27, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 20 (Gabriel García Márquez)

García Márquez, Gabriel
Love in the Time of Cholera


Hmm, I guess this should probably have been shelved under 'G', at least according to the Library of Congress data on the inner flap. I always think of his last name as simply 'Márquez,' but there it is. I am not sure when I acquired this book. I feel pretty confident that I've had it since college, when I read García Márquez, but I can't say for sure. I have been known to lose books I once read and to repurchase them later in order to have them around.

I never got around to reading any of them in Spanish -- I got too busy reading Javier Marías and Roberto Bolaño to feel a need to go back. My memory of all his books is that they were always a little disappointing, possibly because they were so overhyped. Magical Realism, so called, is not really my cup of tea, so that may have something to do with it, too.

from Love in the Time of Cholera

It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love. Dr. Juvenal Urbino noticed it as soon as he entered the still darkened house where he had hurried on an urgent call to attend a case that for him had lost all urgency many years before. The Antillean refugee Jeremiah de Saint-Amour, disabled war veteran, photographer of children, and his most sympathetic opponent in chess, had escaped the torments of memory with the aromatic fumes of gold cyanide.

No comments: