Monday, January 31, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 22.1 (Karl Marx)


Capital, Volume I
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Marx, Karl
Capital, Volume I


Purchased at the late, lamented Niagara Falls Outlet Mall Discount Book Store for $4. I bought it in hopes I might one day get around to reading the originating text rather than the myriad theoretical ones through which it has been filtered into my consciousness over the years.

Alas, I haven't read it. But I still hope to. Some day. I do. Really. I do.

from Capital

The wealth of societies in which the capitalist mode of production prevails appears as an 'immense collection of commodities." The individual commodity appears as its elementary form. Our investigation therefore begins with the analysis of the commodity.

The commodity is, first of all, an external object, a thing which through its qualities satisfies human needs of whatever kind. The nature of these needs, whether they arise, for example, from the stomach, or the imagination, makes no difference. Nor does it matter here how the thing satisfies man's need, i.e., an object of consumption, or indirectly as a means of production.

No comments: