Saturday, January 1, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 7.1 (Jackson Mac Low)


Barnesbook
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Mac Low, Jackson
Barnesbook


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books.

I actually went to Talking Leaves yesterday with my friend, Gregg Biglieri, after having taken a long walk with Zelda and after having driven out to the suburbs and eaten lunch at El Palenque Mexican Restaurant.

I hadn't been to the store in a while and had an urge to buy a book. I bought two, actually: Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson, on Gregg's recommendation (I can't put it down), and also Under the Dome, Walks with Paul Celan, by Jean Daive (Translated by Rosmarie Waldrop).

While standing at the counter talking with the owner, Jon Welch, I asked if it was ok for me to take five or six of the free Buffalo News Book Club bookmarks. I like their compact size, and i find I always need more because of the large number of books I read but don't finish.

We talked a bit about my blog and how I enjoy finding bookmarks pressed between the last two pages I might or might not have read. I appreciate these discoveries in much the same way, I said, that I appreciate finding the price sticker still attached to the book. In fact, no longer remove those price stickers so that when I get to that point in my library I will how much I paid and, in the case of the TL sticker with the barcode and date, when I bought the book.

Jon then informed me that the dates on the stuckers--I should have been able to figure this out on my own--duh!--don't mark the date of the purchase of the book, but rather the date of its arrival in the store.

In most cases, this will indicate the general time period in which the book was purchased, but in many cases, especially given my proclivity for poetry, the books might have been on the shelves for a long time, meaning that the sticker does not accurately mark the period during which I bought the book.

Which is all a way of saying that, in future, or if you read previous entries in which I make use these stickers to attempt to date my reading, take it with a grain of salt. Then again, if I've learned anything about memory writing this blog, it is that it is all grains of salt.

Below are to two PennSound recordings of Mac Low reading from Barnesbook.

Barnesbook 1
Barnesbook 2

Hunh, I just looked at the date on these recordings, 6/24/04, Orono, ME. Turns out I was at this reading and that, according to Anne Tardos, it was Jackson's last. He died a couple of month later.

Enjoy.