Saturday, February 5, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 25.1 (Bernadette Mayer)


Midwinter Day
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
Mayer, Bernadette
Midwinter Day


Purchased, I think, at Talking Leaves...Books.

Looks like I read only the first section. That's where the bookmark rests. It's a Buffalo New Book Club Book Mark. Apparently they were reading "The Jane Austen Book Club at the Time.

I have a vague memory of buying the book after having been influenced by someone's Facebook status update. Was it Anselm Berrigan? Anyhow, someone posted that they were reading it and I remember thinking to myself that I had been intending to read that.

The next time I was at the Main St. store staring at the giant wall of poetry I recalled this moment and moved my eyes directly to the Mayer section and there it was, Midwinter Day, which I can sort of see sitting on the end table next to the couch in the living room, it may have been just last year.

I think I remember reading the first section straight through and then stopping. I may have moved the book to my nightstand. I can sort of see it there, too, but then I didn't read it. Last winter I was reading long Russian and French novels and very little poetry, which I am reading more of this winter, though mostly poetry in translation, less of contemporary American poets. I may return to it some day.

from Midwinter Day

From dreams I made sentence, then what I've seen today,
Then past the past of afternoons of stories like memory
To seeing as a plain introduction to modes of love and reason,
Then to end I guess with love, a method to this winter season
Now I've said this love it's all I can remember
Of Midwinter Day the twenty-second of December

Welcome sun, at last with thy softer light
That takes the bite from winter weather
And weaves the random cloth of life together
And drives away the long black night!

No comments: