Friday, February 11, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 27.2 (Steve McCaffery)


Panopticon
Originally uploaded by Michael_Kelleher
McCaffery, Steve
Panopticon


Given to me by the author.

The dreamworld entered into the real world this morning. If you'll recall, I woke the other day after a dream in which a man described a woman to me as having a "luster" in her eyes and that in the dream, and also in the moments after I woke from it, I took the word "luster" to mean "lust."

What I didn't describe was the strange feeling that this elision caused in my brain. The sexual subtext was part of, but the strange feeling of displacement was caused by the way that innuendo altered my understanding of the word. There may or may not be a real connection between "lust" and "luster," but one has been made in my brain.

Just a few minutes ago, as Lori was preparing our morning kefir fruit smoothie, and I was preparing a morning espresso, something similar occurred. We keep the fresh fruit in a round metal mixing bowl atop the black microwave oven which sits on the countertop next to the super-automatic espresso machine, also black.

Lori reached into the bowl and removed a small bunch of bananas. As she pulled one off the stem she looked at me and said, "These banana's sure are big." I immediately had that same sensation of sexual subtext dislodging something, of setting my mind between two meanings, between dream and reality. Something is afoot in my subconscious. I am not yet sure what it is.

from Panopticon

A WOMAN EMERGES FROM HER BATH TOWELS HERSELF DRTY AND COMMENCES DRESSING. IN THE TIME TAKEN FOR THE PHOTOGRAPHER TO MOVE FROM THE ROSEWOOD ESCRITOIRE TO THE BATHROOM THE WOMAN REACHES FOR A SILVER OBJECT A BRACELET POSSIBLY OR A RING) AND PLACES THIS ON HER BODY. SHE HAS ASSUMED THE PERSONA OF AN AGING MOVIE STAR IN A FILM CALLED "THE MARK". SHE REACHES OVER FOR A NOVEL SHELVED BY THE EDGE OF THE BAT. IN THE PHOTOGRAPH THE PHOTOGRAPHER TAKES THE TITLE OF THIS BOOK IS CLEARLY VISIBLE: "THE MIND OF PAULINE BRAIN". AS SHE READS SHE IS REMEMBERING A RECENT TRANSPOSITION OF THE BOOK INTO A FILM SCRIPT. (THE FILM IS TO BE SHOT NEXT MONTH ON LOCATION IN SPAIN WITH A MODEST BUDGET). SHE REMEMBERS TOO TAT THROUGH ALL OF THIS THERE IS THE DISTINCT SOUNDS OF SOMEONE TYPING.

1 comment:

Lori D said...

Sometimes a banana is just a banana.