Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 43 (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Selected Poems by Michael_Kelleher
Selected Poems a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

Millay, Edna St. Vincent
Selected Poems


Purchased at Ollie's Bargain Outlet in Niagara Falls, NY.

I had high hopes when I visited that Ollie's might replace the discount book store at the outlet mall. All I really want out of a discount bookstore is a section, like the one the outlet mall used to have, devoted entirely to the Library of America. Is that too much to ask? I didn't find it there.

Ollie's did, however, supply me with three or four volumes of the LOA American Poets Project, including this one, which upon arriving home occupied a similar position, under a pile of unread books, as those described yesterday, only this at our last house.

There the pile was less intrusive because in a room well removed from my study, the dining room actually, where it sat with all of my recently acquired, unread books, on a long, mid-century modern buffet, accumulating quietly, their shame and mine rather conveniently muted.

I should note that Ollie's is very close to the former Wurlitzer factory. (A colorful detail, no?)

from Selected Poems

First Fig


My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light!

No comments: