Sunday, March 27, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 52 (Michel de Montaigne)

Selected Essays by Michael_Kelleher
Selected Essays, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

de Montaigne, Michel
Selected Essays


I think I bought this at Rust Belt Books.

I have used this occasion to make a decision. As I have never read either of the two versions of Montaigne's essays on my shelves, I will get rid of one. In this case, the cheap, heavily highlighted paperback edition I bought used (but never read) at the Fordham University Bookstore. I hate reading books that others have highlighted, so it made the decision easy.

I now have this lovely hardcover for eternity. I have promised myself that I won't get rid of any book I write about on the blog, so it's useful to get rid of some of these things along the way, lest I saddle myself with certain unwanted books forever.

Although now that I look at it, the spine seems to be breaking away from the front panel. O well, at least there's no highlighting.

I also learned this morning that Montaigne had a first name -- Michel de. Who knew?

from Of The Education Of Children

I never yet saw that father, but let his son be never so decrepit or deformed, would not, notwithstanding, own him: not, nevertheless, if he were not totally besotted, and blinded with his paternal affection, that he did not well enough discern his defects: but that with all defaults, he was still his.

2 comments:

victor immature said...

interesting he chooses "son" not child or daughter

but yeah, the "ownership" really hit my heart a couple of days ago when one of my son's was briefly lost in the mall and then found

Paul said...

Thankfully you are not getting rid of your other volume of Montaigne. You may yet be in need of him someday. Preserve that spine!

"P"