Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 54 (Sir Thomas More)

Utopia by Michael_Kelleher
Utopia, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

More, Sir Thomas
Utopia


Purchased at the Fordham University Bookstore for an undergraduate course on Renaissance Literature. My only memory of the course is of a lecture in which the professor explained the latin root of the word "utopia."

Rather than "explained" I should say "read from notes typed on white paper which had yellowed with age and so had been slipped into a protective, plastic sleeve clipped inside a black three ring binder, the better to be repeated, verbatim, ad eternum."

Yes, that would be more accurate.

from Utopia

The most invincible King of England, Henry the Eighth of that name, a prince adorned with the royal virtues beyond any other, had recently some differences of no slight import with Charles, the most serene Prince of Castille, and sent me to flanders as his spokesman to discuss and settle them. I was companion and associate to that incomparable man Cuthbert Tunstall, whom the King has recently created Master of the Rolls, to everyone's great satisfaction. I will say nothing in praise of this man, not because I fear the judgment of a friend might be questioned, but because his learning and integrity are greater than I can describe and too well-known everywhere to need my commendation--unless I would, according to the proverb, "Show the sun with a lantern."

No comments: