Monday, April 4, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 56.3 (Laura Moriarty)

Rondeaux by Michael_Kelleher
Rondeaux, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

Moriarty, Laura
Rondeaux


I am pretty sure, though not one hundred percent, that I acquired this in New York.

I have a memory of seeing Laura Moriarty read with, I think, Melanie Nielsen, at the Segue Series, which at the time was run out of a space on 8th St, between Avenues B and C, in New York. This would have been in 1996 or 1997. I am almost sure this is true.

If it is true, then I feel there is a good chance I took the book off the shelves of the Segue Foundation when I worked there during that time.

It might also be true that I bought it at the reading. This is unlikely, as I had so little money at the time I never bought books at readings, especially if I could get them for free.

There is also an outside possibility that I am imagining all of this and that I bought it along with the other three Moriarty books I own at Talking Leaves...Books when Laura came to Buffalo.

O, the uncertainty of it all!

from Rondeaux

Each page a day
Each rectangle outlined
On the sky there is movement
We are under it it is raining
These days remembering back
Streets meeting already writing
As if divided I write you and see
Each page handing it over directly
You at the same time in a speech
Making writing into life
Paper in hair and eyes
Mixed with the general storm
Inundated with each other
Each page says anything

No comments: