Saturday, April 23, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 60.3 (Daniel Rodríguez Mujica)

Bailarina Privada by Michael_Kelleher
Bailarina Privada, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

Muxica, Daniel
Bailarina privada


Given to me by the author. Includes a compact disc.

Daniel Muxica is a pseudonym of Daniel Rodríguez Mujica. 'Mujica' is pronounced mu-HEE-ka, while 'Muxica' would be mu-SHE-ka. I think I remember him telling me, or figuring out for myself, that this second spelling was chosen because it sounds a bit like 'música,' which is pronounced MU-see-ka. The accent is slightly different, but I guess it would make sense in this instance since the book is concerned with poetry and dance.

Given the book's title ("Private Dancer" in English), I've always wondered if the leg on the cover belonged to Tina Turner. It certainly looks like the ubiquitous limb of the mid-eighties Tina.

Oh, man! I just googled Daniel Muxica and found out he died two years ago of a heart attack at the age of 59. What a bummer. According to Wikipedia, 'Daniel Muxica' was the name by which he was most commonly known, despite having published so many books under his real name. Sigh.

Here's the notice of his death, which includes a little poetry:

http://blogdelamasijo.blogspot.com/2009/06/fallecio-el-poeta-y-narrador-daniel.html

No comments: