Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 63 (Haruki Murakami)

Murakami, Karuki
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World


Purchased at Talking Leaves…Books.

A few years ago, Lori was looking for something to read and asked for suggestions. Several people had recommended Murakami to me, but I hadn't gotten around to reading him. I thought that buying one of his books for Lori would set me up to start.

Lori read it, then asked for another and another and another. Now we have nine titles by Murakami. I have yet to read one of them. I plan to, though. I swear.

Actually, I have tried a couple of times to get started on the Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but for whatever reason I haven't been in the mood.

I have also invited Murakami to read in Buffalo three times, to no avail. I am told he doesn't like to do lectures or readings very often, so I knew it was a long shot.

The last time we invited him, we tried to time the event with the running of the Toronto Marathon, in hopes the intrepid runner might be seduced by the possibility of running a marathon before or after his appearance.

Again, no luck.

So, Mr. Murakami, if you happen to read this, how about this: If you finally agree come to Buffalo, I promise to read all of your books before you arrive.

How's that sound?

from Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

The elevator continued its impossibly slow ascent. Or at least I imagined it was ascent. There was no telling for sure: it was so slow that all sense of direction simply vanished. It could have been going down for all I knew, or maybe it wasn’t moving at all. But let’s just assume it was going up. Merely a guess. Maybe I’d gone up twelve stories, then down three. Maybe I’d circled the globe. How would I know?

Every last thing about this elevator was worlds apart from the cheap die-cut job in my apartment building, scarcely one notch up the evolutionary scale from a well bucket. You’d never believe the two pieces of machinery had the same name and the same purpose. The two were pushing the outer limits conceivable as elevators.

1 comment:

rdeming said...

Welcome back from your hiatus! Next time, warn your fans. I found myself pacing endlessly. "Where's he gone? How can I structure my day? WHat's the next book?"