Sunday, May 15, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 63.8 (Haruki Murakami)

A Wild Sheep Chase by Michael_Kelleher
A Wild Sheep Chase, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

Murakami, Haruki
A Wild Sheep Chase


Purchased at Talking Leaves…Books. Read by Lori.

This is the last of the unread Murakami books on my shelf. My elbow feels a little more sore today than it did yesterday, so I am going to have to keep the typing to a minimum. Surgery tomorrow. Ugh. I will probably write something beforehand, as I have to kill off half the day with no food or water before the operation. Hopefully I'll feel less sore than I do now.

from A Wild Sheep Chase

Wednesday Afternoon Picnic

It was a short one-paragraph item in the morning edition. A friend rang me up and read it to me. Nothing special. Something a rookie reporter fresh out of college might've written for practice.

The date, a street corner, a person driving a truck, a pedestrian, a casualty, an investigation of possible negligence.

Sounded like one of those poems on the inner flap of a magazine.

"Where's the funeral?" I asked.

"You got me," he said. "Did she even have family?"

1 comment:

rdeming said...

Hope your surgery went well. Give us a high sign to indicate you pulled through!

Have you thought about dictating entries to Lori whilst you're on the mend?

By the way, Miike's 13 Assassins = amazing. Possibly the best contemporary samurai I've seen (while its debts and homages are worn on its sleeve).