Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Aimless Reading: The M's, Part 64.2 (Eileen Myles)

Not Me by Michael_Kelleher
Not Me, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.

Myles, Eileen
Not Me


Not sure if I purchased this at St. Mark's Books or at Talking Leaves. I have a memory of reading it in the store at St. Mark's and another of not having bought it because I had no money. When I was living on student loans in grad school I went hog wild with book buying, often buying stacks of books I had wanted to own when I lived in NYC but could not afford (and I have a mountain of debt to show for it). I think I may have bought this in Buffalo during grad school.

I am not in so much pain the last couple of days. I feel more comfortable typing without the cast. The surgery wound causes more pain now than the broken bone. Hopefully that pain will lessen with the removal of my stitches on Thursday. I do feel better each day, and I am finally getting to use a few the astonishing number of sick days I've accumulated over the years.

Physical therapy began last Friday. Four times a day I roll up a small towel and push it across the surface of kitchen island until I reach the pain point straightening the arm. I hold it for fifteen seconds, then draw the towel toward my chest until I reach the paint point of the bent arm, hold that for fifteen seconds, then repeat both actions ten times.

My guess is Thursday they'll give me an exercise designed to enhance pronation and supination, the twisting of the elbow joint. That's the movement that still has a serious pain point. It's fine most of the time, but if I make a wrong move, OUCH!

Here's a link to the first poem in Not Me, by Eileen Myles.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/240258

2 comments:

heinrich antinomian said...

a wiz bang finish to that poem, somewhat reminiscent of "sympathy for the devil"

i've worked with the homeless for a job: i recommend it for anyone who is in the "idealistic"...it gets down and dirty and violent...

kind of like the shows people like to watch on t.v.

hope your arm gets better soon

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

thanks, my mysterious friend!