Thursday, June 9, 2011

Aimless Reading: The N's, Part 5.2 (Pablo Neruda)

Odas elementales by Michael_Kelleher
Odas elementales, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.
Neruda, Pablo
Odas elementales

Not quite sure about this one. I am pretty sure I bought it at the World Languages Center at the Yale book store. I was in town visiting the literary outlaw Richard Deming, who showed me this amazing section of the book store that carries publications in languages from around the world. I say I am not quite sure because I also have a copy of the sequel to this book, which I also recall buying there.

At the time I was teaching Spanish language poetry workshops to migrant farm workers in Central NY, most of whom had come from Mexico. One in particular was very serious about writing poetry and I had started working with him on writing a chapbook of his poems. The late Janine Pommy Vega, who also did workshops at the site, was also working with him.

I remember buying an extra copy of the Nuevas odas at Yale in order to give to him as a gift.

Now -- I have a memory that I owned the Nuevas odas first without actually owning a copy of the first Odas, this one. It's possible I may have bought this online or elsewhere -- if so, I don't recall when or where.

Unfortunately, my friend the poet left the states to return to Mexico for the wedding of one of his children, so I never got to see him again, and his book never got published.

Here's a link to some of the Odas:

http://www.neruda.uchile.cl/obra/odaselementales.htm

1 comment:

rdeming said...

The sequel:
_Odas Elementales, Mas Fuerte!_