Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Aimless Reading: The O's, Part 1 (Sean O'Casey)

Three Plays by Michael_Kelleher
Three Plays, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.
O'Casey, Sean
Three Plays

Purchased at the Fordham University Bookstore. I think bought this for an undergraduate course in "Anglo-Irish" literature. It was all Irish writers, so I guess the "anglo" part must have meant "English language."

My father loved theater, and he especially loved plays by Irish or Irish-American playwrights. His favorite was Eugene O'Neill. He once took me to see O'Casey's 'Juno and the Paycock' at the Arena Stage in Washington.

I don't remember much, but I do remember the angle from which we viewed the stage. It was one of those stage set-ups like theater in the round, where the audience surrounds the stage, only in this case the stage was square.

We sat about twenty rows back, right on one of the corners. I can picture the stage from precisely that angle and I can see a woman standing there. It is Juno, dressed in a gray dress, gray blouse and gray shawl. But that's it.

No comments: