Sunday, August 14, 2011

Aimless Reading: The O's, Part 5.4 (Charles Olson)

Olson, Charles
Olson: The Journal of the Charles Olson Archives, Number 3


See the previous entry for details on my acquisition of this set.

Still trying to find a rhythm for this blog in the new house. We've been doing so much work on it that I find myself exhausted from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed. I spent three whole days in the basement this week helping Lori's father work on the plumbing. I learned more than I ever wanted to know, got real dirty.

I then spent two full days in front of my computer taking an online seminar on how to use Raiser's Edge development software for my job. At the end of the second day, I spilled half a cup of coffee on the keyboard of my MacBook Pro. It's fried. Not the whole computer, but the keyboard. I took it to the Apple store and they told me the charge to fix it would be $1240, flat rate, covering any and all problems. I might as well buy a new computer at that rate. Thanks, Apple. No wonder you are richer than Exxon.

Fortunately, I use a docking station that elevates the screen and allows me to use an external keyboard, making my laptop more or less a desktop. It still functions fine in that regard, except for some minor screen discoloration in the upper left hand corner. So, I'll use it that way, as a desktop. I brought home my laptop from work (a supersonic MacBook Pro purchased earlier this summer), which I can use downstairs for casual websurfing.

Hmm...is it time for an iPad?

Returning to the theme of comfort -- one of the difficulties, besides finding energy and time to write amid a hectic move and impending fatherhood, has been the location of my office. In each of our previous two houses I had an office/library on the first floor. Both were semi-private, thus also semi-public. The new library is on the second floor and is somewhat isolated. This part is good, but it means I have to run up and down the stairs to get coffee or whatever. This throws off my routine. Or maybe I am just tire. I am sure I'll get used to it.

Speaking of coffee...can I tell you about my bad technology week?

First, the super-automatic espresso machine broke. We have to send it back for repair. I can't complain too much, as we are heavy users, having made between 12 and 15K shots on it in 2.5 years. But still, it hurts. Plus, our year-old microwave (just out of warranty, natch), shorted out. It can be used, but it beeps all night if you leave it plugged in. Then came the computer, and on Saturday, the infant car seat.

Our friends had given us a car seat and stroller system to use for the baby. We also bought an extra base for the car seat online. Yesterday, we took them to a police station to have an officer show us how to install them correctly. He did, then told us that the seat we were given had been recalled and would we like a replacement. We said yes and he brought out a brand new car seat and base and installed it into Lori's car.

The only problem is that it doesn't fit into the new seat base we bought or into the snap-in stroller frame. So, we had to return the new base and order a new seat and another extra base, and we'll have to give away the free one received from the police.

And if that wasn't bad enough -- the passenger side window on my 11.5 year-old Honda popped out of the track, forcing me to pull the glass up out of the door and prop it into place until I can get to the mechanic on Monday -- O, and did I mention Lori's A/C & heat fan died on her Honda and that we had to have that fixed?

It's almost enough to make me a luddite. Almost, but not quite.

1 comment:

tyrone said...

sorry to hear all the bad news but congratulations on the pregnancy!