Monday, September 5, 2011

Aimless Reading: The O's, Part 5.21 (Charles Olson)

Selected Writings by Michael_Kelleher
Selected Writings, a photo by Michael_Kelleher on Flickr.
Olson, Charles
Selected Writings
Ed. Robert Creeley

I think I bought this at Talking Leaves...Books. I am not sure.

I brought it with me to the Yucatan when I traveled there with Lori in 2004. I can remember sitting in our hotel room in Cozumel reading the Mayan Letters alongside Dennis Tedlock's translation of the Popol Vuh. I think Lori and I were passing the two books back and forth as we traversed the peninsula.

As I have written before, I love the format of this book because it presents several different facets of Olson's work -- poetry, poetics, correspondence etc. I wish more works like this -- eclectic collections -- were published during authors' lifetimes.

---

Well, once again, a provocative post has sent my hit counter off the charts. On a normal day, my posts are supposedly followed by some 650 people, though my hit counter suggests that about 15-25 actually visit the blog on a given day. Of those, 2-3 spend more than a minute reading it.

However, last night I wrote about the ridiculous attacks on Blazevox books and woke this morning to discover that over 400 people had visited my blog (as of this writing). Maybe some of them will stick around to read the less exciting blog posts I put up here every day.

I somehow doubt it.

2 comments:

Damon McLaughlin said...

well, you've gained at least one follow-up reader. have a good one!

damon
damonmclaughlin.com

Michael Kelleher, Buffalo, NY said...

Hey, thanks, Damon!

Cheers.

Mike