Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Aimless Reading: The P's, Part 22 (Kenneth Patchen)

Wonderings
Patchen, Kenneth
Wonderings

Given to me by the sixth grade classes and teachers at Buffalo Elementary School of Technology (B.E.S.T.) in 2000. Inscribed:

Mr Kelleher,


You definitely brought out the very best in all of us. We will carry your words and our time with you in our hearts always! :)


Colleen Morris and Rm 105


Young minds
our future
understandably
receive from you
attitudes 
towards
Excellente!


Thanks So Much, Carrie Myers


Thank you for your enlightening look at poetry. I will use your ideas next year. Jan Wasmund 107

I don't remember much of the residency itself, except that it was at a little school on the east side of Buffalo. I did so many back in the day that they all start to blur together. I don't think I ever received a sweeter gift from teachers, though -- how they decided to give me a book by Kenneth Patchen is beyond me!

It's a great little book, containing "Picture Poems," "Handwriting Poems,"and "Drawing Poems." As a project, it reminds me, at least in spirit, of William Blake. I can see now how my old friend Doug could make such a connection for the dissertation he wrote a few years back. He wrote it on Blake, Patchen, and bpNichol, and at the time, I was sort of like, "Hunh?" But now I am like, "Hunh!"

from Wonderings

(This is a handwriting poem, written in a gothic-looking script, framed in a black ink rectangle. There's about two inches between the first and second stanzas)

To Whomever
These village fires
stall have meaning




O may your own most secret
& most beautiful Animal of Light
Come safely to you

No comments: