Monday, November 21, 2011

Aimless Reading: The P's, Part 30.1 (Tom Pickard)

Tiepin Eros
Pickard, Tom
Tiepin Eros: New and Selected Poems

Purchased at Talking Leaves Books.

Robert Creeley brought Tom Pickard to read in Buffalo in, oh, about 1998. He read at the legendary gallery/performance space Cornershop, run by Anya Lewin.

I remember him as being in his fifties, with longish salt-and-pepper hair. He wore jeans and a button-down shirt that was open almost down to his stomach, revealing quite an extent of hairy-chested masculine real estate. He may also have been wearing a piece of jewelry around his neck, but this could be an embellishment on my part.

I don't remember much else. I don't think I even met him, which was odd, given that as students we usually met every poet who came to town. It may have been that Creeley brought him while Charles Bernstein was on sabbatical and thus not around to organize the students into a dinner or gathering of some sort.

I should also note that each time I have attempted to type the title of this book, which as you can see is a somewhat awkward pun on the phrase "Typing Errors," I have in fact made a typing error, the same one, in fact. Three times have I attempted to type the word "Tiepin" and three times have I typed it "Tipein."

I wonder if Tom made the same error or a different one.

from Tiepin Eros


Dedication


you took something
that wasn't mine to keep
or lose,


and that look
does not suit the inside
of my wallet


I'm always pinning 
your pictures to the wall
or writing you a letter


slipped between sheets
and other readers


it's the only true place to be

No comments: