Friday, December 16, 2011

Aimless Reading: The P's, Part 43.2 (Ezra Pound)

The Cantos of Ezra Pound
Pound, Ezra
The Cantos of Ezra Pound


Purchased at Talking Leaves...Books.

Like yesterday's book, it appears I bought this around 2004. I went for many years without actually owning a copy of the Cantos. I read selections or took out the whole from the library, but never went in for the whole thing. I still cant say I've read all of them. I have a vague recollection that I bought this with the intent of finally reading them straight through. I am pretty sure I did not.

There's a torn half of a bookmark on pages 510-511, so I did pretty well. Either that or I just skipped ahead to read The Pisan Cantos. The latter is the most likely. The book mark has a sepia-toned black and white photo of Richard Ford on one side, with the phrase "Vintage Ford" emblazoned across it. On the other side is a similarly-toned photo, in profile, of Langston Hughes. He, too, is "Vintage."

Here's where I left off:

from The Cantos
from LXXIX

This fruit has a fire within it
                            Pomona, Pmona
No glass is clearer than are the globes of this flame
what sea is clearer than the pomegranate body
          holding the flame?
                                 Pomona, Pomona



                  Lynx, keep watch on this orchard
                  That is named Melagrana
or the pomegranate field
                  The sea is not clearer in azure
                  Nor the heliads bringing light


         Here are lynxes               Here are lynxes,
         Is there a sound in the forest
                                of pard or of bassarid
         or crotale                         or of leaves moving?

No comments: