Sunday, December 18, 2011

Aimless Reading: The P's, Part 43.4 (Ezra Pound)

Selected Prose 1909-1965
Pound, Ezra
Selected Prose 1909-1965

I think I may have bought this online. I have the vaguest of memories of buying it because I got a good deal on it. I have no idea when I bought it, though I it is likely this occurred while I was in graduate school. The book is in very good conditions, so it is possible I bought it at around the same time I bought the Cantos and ABC of Reading, around 2004, which would be after graduate school. All I can say for certain is that I bought it at some point since moving to Buffalo in 1997. I did not own the book in New York or before. How's that for exactitude?

from Selected Prose 1909-1956
from I Gather the Limbs of Osiris

When I bring into play what my late pastors and masters would term, in classic sweetness, my 'unmitigated gall', and by virtue of it venture to speak of a 'New Method in Scholarship', I do not imagine that I am speaking of a method by me discovered. I mean, merely, a method not of common practice, a method not yet clearly or consciously formulated, a method which has been intermittently used by all good scholars since the beginning of scholarship, the method of Luminous Detail, a method most vigorously hostile to the prevailing mode of today — that is, the method of multitudinous detail, and to the method of yesterday, the method of sentiment and generalisation. The letter is too inexact and the former too cumbersome to be of much use to the normal man wishing to live mentally active.

1 comment:

Mr. Edwards said...

book - ball of light in hand
he had balls
not much use for the female/his
where did she go?

hey, ezra - u 1 funny guy
gall bladder
badass
who exiled himself
from "beanery" (his term for
academic)

love those ideograms dude

the 1st principle