Monday, January 16, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 3 (Nicholas Ray)

I Was Interrupted
Ray Nicholas
I Was Interrupted: Nicholas Ray on Making Movies

Purchased in the Amazon Marketplace. I don't have much to say about this book. I never finished it. I think Ray expressed himself on film and in person in ways that don't always come across on paper. The book has some great moments, but not enough of them to keep me reading.

from I Was Interrupted

Say it's a rainy night. You're waiting on the street corner, for a guy or a gal. And the first thing you say when that person comes up is, "What time is it?" Do you realize how many ways you can say "What time is it?" Ask yourself: Am I reprimanding her? Am I blaming her? Am I putting her down? Am I tell her I am going to strangle her? Am I telling her she's done it again? That I'm fed up? That she's right on time, and we're going to have a ball? What am I saying? What am I really saying?

No comments: