Thursday, January 19, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 5 (Pam Rehm)

Small Works
Rehm, Pam
Small Works

Sent to me by the publisher a few years back.

I saw Pam Rehm read in New York once. It was in 1997. I was just about to leave for Buffalo and I remember that Garrett Kalleberg introduced her at the Segue Foundation. In the weeks afterwards I browsed through her books in the basement of the building, where Segue kept it's archive. There were two books on the basement shelves: To Give It Up and a chapbook called Piecework.

I found a postcard in the back of this book with a black-and-white photo of the author. She has long, straight black hair and she is wearing a white, sleeveless button-down shirt with a floral pattern. She appears to be sitting in the cab of a tractor or a Bobcat or some such. She holds the controls of the machine in her hands and is staring straightforward into the camera, a very slight smile, almost a grin, breaking across her face.

from Small Works

Acts of Will


Let me open up

like morning down my spine

and find that I have found

no clear route
no evident map of destination

only a constant disappearing
into the days allowance

No comments: