Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 14.1 (Soleida Ríos)

libro cero
Ríos, Soleida
libro de cero

Given to me by the author. Inscribed:

Mike


Por la democracía 
del lenguaje
y del pensar
Mucho gusto!


Soleida


y (illegible) vemos
la franja 
"del peligro" tal cual.
¿no? Cajitas.

I have memory of being in Soleida's apartment with Jonathan Skinner and Isabelle Pelissier. Soleida read our runes. She kept them in a little bag and asked us to take them out one at a time and place them on the table. She then read our fortunes from the little stones.

My fortune, as I recall, started off rather pedestrian. There was change on the horizon, I needed to be open to it, good things will come by embracing it. But then the last thing she said was that a blonde woman would come into my life and change it forever. A year later, I met Lori, my eternal blonde.

Isabelle, as I recall, did not like her fortune. It began: Tienes que relacionarte con el dolor. Roughly: you need to get in touch with your pain. I remember Isabelle kept asking if she could re-read the runes. I think Soleida told her it wasn't possible.

This incident appears in my prose poem, "Cuba," which was published as a chapbook by Phylum Press and later republished in Human Scale. Soleida is the star of the poem. Much of the "action" takes place inside her apartment.

Of all of my poems, it is still one of my favorites.

No comments: