Thursday, February 9, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 15 (Donald Richie)

A Hundred Years of Japanese Film
Richie, Donald
A Hundred Years of Japanese Film

Purchased online.

I bought this a few years ago when I was watching a lot of Japanese film. It started in the early part of the decade with Japanese horror, but soon spread to the entire history of Japanese cinema: Samurai and Yakuza films, and then all the classics by the great Japanese directors: Mizoguchi, Kurosawa, Naruse, Ozu, Ichikawa, et al. I bought this as something of a primer as I was watching them. I think I read about half of it.

In fact, there is a bookmark on page 134:

As the occupation ended and a more independent Japan was envisioned, directors increasingly searched out alternate roads to truth, beyond the traditional one. Concomitantly sought were the means to express these. The postwar emphasis upon the individual rather than the group occasioned a number of changes, among them the very way in which a craft such as filmmaking was learned.

No comments: