Monday, February 13, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 16.1 (Ed Roberson)

Atmosphere Conditions
Roberson, Ed
Atmosphere Conditions

I think I bought this online, but I am not sure.

I remember driving around Buffalo with Ed. He's such an interesting guy. He worked for many years in a non-academic position at a college in New Jersey -- Rutgers, I think, but don't quote me on that. He rode a motorcycle all over the country and down into Central and South America. He's a trained mountain climber. I told him about my brother, Brian, who is a rock climber, and how he'd fallen something like fifty feet in Mexico, landed on his back and managed to survive, relatively unharmed. Ed's reaction to this was one of solemn respect. He said, Your brother's a pro. He's learned how to fall properly. That's why he's alive.

from Atmosphere Conditions

IV. The Understanding


That kind of walking where
its steps are hiding places,

the witness no road
but ways          of turning up

that hand
that waves you through,

a trackless win.          Almost as if
not played          so innocent.



and nothing shows
up later on          a doorstep

or the line         a vanishing too
nor point.

The removal of shoe          to walk in
that retracts          the understanding.

No comments: