Sunday, February 26, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 22.1 (Kim Rosenfield)

Tràma
Rosenfield, Kim
Tràma

Once again, I am at a complete loss as to how I acquired this book. I am pretty sure I got it before re: volution, but I am not sure. I feel like I got it as a review copy, but I am not sure. It's possible that Rob Fitterman gave it to me. It's also possible that Kim herself gave it to me. Many, many things are possible, yet none are certain. That's today's lesson in philosophy, kids.

But wait! I remember now! I remember!

I read with Kim at the Poetry Project back in 2005 or so. Yes, that's it. We exchanged books. I gave her my book and she gave me hers. The object takes on added significance. O memory!

I used to think Kim Rosenfield's last name was RosenFELD. My mistake was further compounded by the fact that I had a (possibly false) memory of having been corrected on this account. That is, I had a memory of calling her RosenFIELD and being corrected either directly or indirectly.

For instance, I may have overheard someone else mispronounce it RosenFELD and assumed that I was the one who had made the mistake. For whatever reason, I never bothered to verify this. When I read her name, I read RosenFELD in my mind and nothing I did could help me see it as it was.

Then someone actually did correct me, possibly Steve Zultanski. Having been corrected again, I looked at her name on the book jacket, and sure enough, there was the "field" I'd been missing, spelled out in plain English, for anyone to see.

from Tràma

2.

With what force he knocked at the door. Pure Gruel (this was his codename). Good day, Master Fluorine. At what cost are we put on this earth? Recognizing his codename he fell to his knees. I haven't an idea in my head! I'll try to fabricate something that will create a miracle (one white cell to 400 red). This scheme will salt our mortality. I'd like to take a turn through the world, kiss it, and stuff it into a bottle of wine. And the two old ones gave each other back their wigs, shook hands, began to glow in the dark, and were inseparable for the rest of their lives.


No comments: