Thursday, March 1, 2012

Aimless Reading: The R's, Part 24 (Jean-Jacques Rousseau)

The Confessions
Rousseau, Jean-Jacques
The Confessions

Purchased at the late, lamented Niagara Falls Outlet Mall Discount Book Store for $3, new. Not bad. Those days appear to be fading into the distant past. But then again, so do the days of books.

I thought of the place when I went to the outlet mall last weekend to buy some new clothes. It used to sit across the way from Saks. Saks' parking lot is the first one encounters entering the mall drive from Niagara Falls Boulevard. A large mural depicting a smiling gaggle of multicultural tourists gazing at the falls adorns the wall next to the entrance.

I always park there and I always pass through Saks on the way in, sometimes stopping to shop for designer bargains that are now less plentiful than in the days when the dollar was strong. Now the mall is thronged with bargain-hungry Canadians willing to pay full U.S. retail for damaged corporate goods because of the relative strength of their currency.

Anyhow, what was once a book store is now a Levi's outlet. Do people still wear Levi's?

from The Confessions

I have resolved on an enterprise which has no precedent, and which, once complete, will have no imitator. My purpose is to display to my kind a portrait in every way true to nature, and the man I shall portray will be myself.


Simply myself. I know my own heart and understand my fellow man. But I am made unlike any one I have ever met; I will venture to say that I am like no one in the whole world. I may not be better, but at least I am different. Whether nature did well or ill in breaking the mould in which she formed me, is a question which can only be resolved after the reading of my book.

No comments: