Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 5.1 (J.D. Salinger)

Nine Stories
Salinger, J.D.
Nine Stories

I think I may have bought this at St. Mark's Books. I have a vague recollection of being supremely disappointed with this particular design concept when it appeared in the early nineties. I think all of Salinger's books came out looking like this: bland, lifeless, uninspired. The earlier versions were simple, but not dull. These were just plain ugly.

In today's image, you can see that I am, once again, packing up my library. I am ruthlessly culling books from it, more than during any previous move. I think I might actually get rid of more books than I have acquired since the last one in July, which would be miraculous. I am packed up to "O" so far, and should have the rest in boxes by today or tomorrow.

Some of the boxes from the last move, which have been twice loaned to friends, have returned and are in use once again. The rest of my books will go in boxes I bought from a couple of Native American ex-online-cigarette-brokers put out of business by New York State. They had a small warehouse full of boxes once used for mailing cartons of cigarettes that they were selling for $5 a bundle.

The warehouse, a small cinderblock building in a highly industrial area of Niagara Falls, also doubled as a band rehearsal space. In the front room, a drum kit stood on a dais raised about six inches above the floor, which was pretty moist. Fortunately, the boxes had not been badly affected by the the water.

We are moving in just over a week. I should be able to maintain until then, but production may be a tad patchy moving into the first couple of weeks of April. I plan to clearly mark all boxes containing books from S-Z so that I can locate them easily when we arrive.

No comments: