Saturday, March 31, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 8 (Marjane Satrapi)

Persepolis
Satrapi, Marjane
Persepolis


Sent to me by the publisher in anticipation of her lecture in the Babel series in 2009.

My memory of her time in Buffalo is a little fuzzy. I think it was one of those whirlwind visits, wherein the author arrives about an hour before the first event and leaves early the next morning. I remember she traveled with her husband, Mattias, who is, I think, Swedish. He translated or co-translated Persepolis into English, if memory serves.

I remember her being very funny and charming on stage. She was a heavy smoker, and I think she may have even taken a smoke break between the lecture and Q&A. My only other distinct memory is of taking the two of them to Wasabi, to pick up some late night takeout sushi.

Not long after that came the uprising in Iran following disputed elections. I remember watching video of Satrapi at some kind of press event reading a statement in support of the protesters. It looked more like a press conference at a film festival.

It's a strange experience to see someone speaking on television to a global audience about pressing world affairs and to also have a memory of that same person sitting in the front seat of your beat up Honda, holding a plastic carryout container in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

It's hard put the two together.

No comments: