Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 9.1 (Leslie Scalapino)

Considering how exaggerated music is
Scalapino, Leslie
Considering how exaggerated music is


Greetings from New Haven, Connecticut. You can see in the photo today that I am writing from my lovely new home office, a slightly cold but light-drenched former sun porch at the front of the apartment. The apartment itself is on the first floor of a five apartment house that faces out on Humphrey St.

You can see in the background that most of my books are in boxes. Since we may be moving again in a year, I decided to keep most of them packed up. In the other room, I have all the books from S-Z on a few shelves, ready and waiting to bring this project to its close.

The end doesn't look as far away as it once did. Just a few long shelves to go and then, just like that, it will be done. I'll have to figure out a new way to keep myself writing blog posts everyday. But that's still a ways off. I think we'll make it to the end of the year.

I am not sure how I acquired this one. My instinct is to say that I got from the Just Buffalo library prior to its sale, but I don't see a stamp on the inside cover. That doesn't mean I didn't get it from there, just that I am once again unsure.

from Considering how exaggerated music is

As Rimbaud said,     I thought today sitting in the library
absentmindedly leafing through a book on the habits of birds,


As Rimbaud said,     I thought today sitting in the library

absentmindedly leafing through a book on the habits of birds,
isn't the way we find happiness precisely by losing our senses
(oversimplified, of course. I was being     facetious.) But still

I can see imitating a bird's call such as that of the fledgling
of a goose or a swan (here I referred to the book) by forcing
myself into a swoon. And,      by way of finishing the thought, I,
for sake of appearances, since there were people sitting
in the chairs around me, merely sagged forward in my seat and
whistled as if I were asleep. Ssss, it came out, sort of a hiss,
like the noise of a goose. So, almost before I knew it,
I followed this by a low and guttural cough
and leaned forward simply to expel some phlegm. Then quickly
I took a glance around before I wiped my mouth. Feeling weary.

No comments: