Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 19.12 (William Shakespeare)

Henry the Fourth, Part II
Shakespeare, William
Henry the Fourth, Part II


I don't have these shelved in any particular order at the moment, hence the second part's coming before the first. Not sure if part the first is even the next book on the shelf. Chronology be damned!

I think my first contact with this play, as with Henry the Fifth, was vis-a-vis "My Own Private Idaho," which came out when I was in college. I don't think I actually read the play until ten or twelve years later when I bought this set and read through the history plays.

Oddly, my first contact with "My Own Private Idaho" came many, many years before I actually heard the song by the B-52s.

Isn't it strange how much information passes by us unnoticed until one day we see it and suddenly a whole chain of information forms, as if out of thin air.  For instance, how is it possible that I never heard the song until so late in my life, given how popular the B-52's were when I was a teen?

A question for the ages.

from Henry the Fourth, Part II

Rumour
Open your ears; for which of you will stop
The vent of hearing when loud Rumour speaks?
I, from the orient to the drooping west,
Making the wind my post-horse, still unfold
The acts commenced on this ball of earth:
Upon my tongues continual slanders ride,
The which in every language I pronounce,
Stuffing the ears of men with false reports.

No comments: