Monday, May 28, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 19.23 (William Shakespeare)

Cymbeline
Shakespeare, William
Cymbeline

Cymbeline is one of those play that I have trouble remembering. So much so that I reread it now and again  thinking to myself, "That's one of the plays I haven't read." I reread it, then halfway through realize I have already read it and then, after I have finished, promptly forget the whole thing.

Which is to say I think I have read Cymbeline, but I can't remember it. I have never seen it performed or adapted.

In yesterday's post, I talked about how an image of a centurion stands in for Coriolanus in my memory. This makes sense because the play takes place in ancient Rome. However, the image that stands in for Cymbeline in my mind is a fairy. I cannot tell you why this is. It may have to do with the name. 'Cymbeline' sounds to me like a fairy name, like 'Ariel.'

I am pretty sure there are no fairies in the play and that Cymbeline is a British King. Nonetheless, in my mind Cymbeline is a fairy. Go figure.

from Cymbeline


If she be furnished with a mind so rare,
She is alone the Arabian bird, and I
Have lost the wager. Boldness be my friend!
Arm me, audacity.

No comments: