Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 19.24 (William Shakespeare)

Henry VI: Part III
Shakespeare, William
Henry the Sixth: Part Three

Read it, forgot it, haven't seen it. Sound familiar? Are you getting bored yet? Only fifteen volumes of the Yale Shakespeare to go! I went to bed last night thinking of something completely unrelated to Shakespeare that I intended to write about, but I woke up having forgotten what it was. This happens often.

I'd like to give a shout out to the literary outlaw Richard Deming, who many of you know as a recurring character on this blog. Richard has been on a fellowship to the American Academy in Berlin since January and is returning to the states this weekend.

Whenever he has visited the blog, it registers on my hit counter as a little German flag that appears next to the phrase, "Nidda, Hessen." I see it about once a day.

I bring all this up because a) I have nothing to say about this play and b) I am very psyched to once again count Richard Deming not only as a compadre in literary arms but as a neighbor. An actual physical presence in my neighborhood! Our apartments in New Haven are so close that I just about spit and hit the back of his house.

Not that I would spit at his or anyone else's house. It's just a figure of speech.

from Henry the Sixth: Part Three

Away with her, and waft her hence to France.
And now what rests but that we spend the time
With stately triumphs, mirthful comic shows,
Such as befits the pleasure of the court?
Sound drums and trumpets! farewell sour annoy!
For here, I hope, begins our lasting joy.

No comments: