Monday, May 7, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 19.5.1 (William Shakespeare)

The Two Gentleman of Verona
Shakespeare, William
The Two Gentlemen of Verona


I think I may have seen this in Central Park back in the early nineties. I have definitely seen a production of it somewhere, sometime.

I am still drawing a bit of a blank this morning, as I often do at a certain point when I get to an author who has many titles on my shelf. I start to think about how many more of these entries I have to fulfill before I get to the next author. I worry that I won't have anything to say, that no memories or anecdotes will jar themselves loose when I stare at each book.

I am staring at this one right now. Like most in my collection the blue on the cover is much brighter and richer than the blue on the spine, which is quite faded. The impressed gold title of the series still has some shine to it, while the spine text of the title is hard to read. Other than that, the text is tight and clean. No notes of any kind.

I've always wondered about these sets of The Yale Shakespeare. I think they were printed in the fifties. Was this something every student was once required to purchase? Was it something people could purchase from a catalogue? There seem to be a lot of them on the used book market, which leads me to believe they were fairly widely available at some point. I guess I could ask someone at work if I really want to know.

from The Two Gentlemen of Verona

PROTEUS
Thus have I shunn'd the fire for fear of burning,
And drench'd me in the sea, where I am drown'd.
I fear'd to show my father Julia's letter,
Lest he should take exceptions to my love;
And with the vantage of mine own excuse
Hath he excepted most against my love.
O, how this spring of love resembleth
The uncertain glory of an April day,
Which now shows all the beauty of the sun,
And by and by a cloud takes all away!

No comments: