Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Aimless Reading: The S's, Part 19.6 (William Shakespeare)

The Winter's Tale
Shakespeare, William
The Winter's Tale


Even with the aid of my trusty desk lamp, which I have been using the past few years as a de facto studio light for photos, the gray morning light proved to bleak to get a clear photo of the spine of this book. In bad light everything blurs. So, I have reverted once again to photographing the title page instead of the spine. The title page of The Winter's Tale is not nearly as interesting as the title page of Titus Andronicus, which had a reproduction of a manuscript on the facing page.

I don't have any real memories about this play. I think I first heard the title when I studied Dinesen's collection of stories The Winter's Tales during a course in college. It was taught by the same man who taught me Ulysses, D.H. Lawrence, et al.:Phil Sicker. I wrote about his teaching style while ago. Just the other day, a comment popped up beneath that blog entry from my old college professor himself. Turned out his son, who I also mention in the post, had been searching the internet and stumbled upon the entry, which he passed along to his father.

It's a small world wide web, after all.

from The Winter's Tale


There may be in the cup
A spider steeped, and one may drink, depart, 
And yet partake no venom, for his knowledge 
Is not infected: but if one present 
Th' abhorred ingredient to his eye, make known 
How he hath drunk, he cracks his gorge, his sides, 
With violent hefts. I have drunk, and seen the spider.

1 comment:

allen said...

re; spider steeped - for my $ i'll take a worm in a bottle of tequila

you are fortunate to have had such a teacher - he almost sounds reichian

tycho is my favorite astronomer/alchemist - any guy who can carry off a nose made of gold is deserving of respect